Welcome to Medivizor!

You're browsing our sample library. Feel free to continue browsing. You can also sign up for free to receive medical information specific to your situation.

Posted by on Dec 7, 2019 in Leukemia | 0 comments

In a nutshell

This study aimed to evaluate the relationship between minimal residual disease response and outcomes in patients with relapsed/unresponsive B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia who were treated with blinatumomab.  

This study concluded that achieving minimal residual disease response leads to better outcomes for these patients.  

Some background

Blinatumomab (Blincyto) is a drug used as a second-line treatment for relapsed or refractory (unresponsive) acute lymphoblastic leukemia (r/r ALL).  

Minimal residual disease (MRD) is where cancer cell levels are lower than a specific level. MRD is the most important prognostic factor (indicates outcome for a patient) for ALL relapse during first-line chemotherapy treatment. MRD is the standard of care (SOC) in treatment monitoring and decision making. The prognostic value of MRD response after relapse is unknown. 

Methods & findings

This study involved 90 patients with r/r B-cell precursor ALL. All patients previously had a complete remission (CR – no signs of cancer) or CR with partial hematologic recovery (CRh). Patients had been treated with blinatumomab

71.1% of patients achieved complete MRD response (no detectable MRD). 12.2% of patients had MRD. Overall, 83.3% of patients experienced an MRD response within the first two treatment cycles.  

Overall survival (OS) for patients who achieved CR/CRh and MRD response was 20.6 months compared to 12.5 months for patients who achieved CR/CRh without MRD response. Relapse-free survival (RFS) for patients who achieved CR/CRh and MRD response was 9.0 months compared to 2.3 months for patients who achieved CR/CRh without MRD response.  

The bottom line

This study concluded that achieving MRD response leads to longer durations of OS and RFS in patients with r/r ALL who achieve CR or CRh after treatment with blinatumomab.  

The fine print

This study had a small number of participants. Also, the study was funded by Amgen, the manufacturer of blinatumomab.

Published By :

Blood advances

Date :

Oct 22, 2019

Original Title :

Molecular response with blinatumomab in relapsed/refractory B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

click here to get personalized updates