Welcome to Medivizor!

You're browsing our sample library. Feel free to continue browsing. You can also sign up for free to receive medical information specific to your situation.

Posted by on Jul 14, 2019 in Leukemia | 0 comments

In a nutshell

This study looked at the effectiveness of busulfan (Busilvex) and fludarabine (Fludara) before transplant in the treatment of older patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML). Researchers found that this treatment was safe and effective in these patients.

Some background

Acute myeloid leukemia is a cancer of the bone marrow. It involves abnormal cells of the immune system. Treatment often includes destroying abnormal cells with drugs and replacing them with healthy cells (stem cell transplant or SCT). Destroying abnormal cancer cells is made with powerful chemotherapy. This is called a conditioning regimen. Older patients may not tolerate this as they might have other medical contitions. It is important to find a safe and effective drug treatment for these patients.

Methods & findings

71 patients with AML were included in this study. All patients received busulfan with fludarabine before a SCT. 

All patients had successful SCT. After 2 years, 34% of patients had a relapse. This rate was 11% in those who had a complete remission. The 2-year overall survival was 45%. Survival without signs of disease progressing was 42%. 

Patients who received a higher dose of busulfan had a higher chance of cancer not coming back.

The bottom line

The study concluded that busulfan with fludarabine was effective in patients with AML before a transplant.

The fine print

This study had a small sample size. This may affect the results. Larger studies are needed.

Published By :


Date :

Apr 04, 2019

Original Title :

Myeloablative conditioning using timed-sequential busulfan plus fludarabine in older patients with acute myeloid leukemia: long term results of a prospective phase II clinical trial.

click here to get personalized updates