If you are looking for something to cook that has pretty easy clean up, try cooking in a cast iron skillet. Cast iron cookware has been around for a long time, since 220 AD. The process of sand casting iron cookware, which makes the cookware thinner was invented in England in 1707.
Here is a recipe for your cast iron skillet that is diabetes friendly from Diabetic Living Magazine*.
Skillet Steak with Mushroom Sauce
(serves 4 people)
12 ounces boneless beef top sirloin steak cut 1 inch thinck and trimmed
2 teaspoons salt-free steak grilling seasoning,
2 teaspoons olive oil
6 ounces broccoli rabe (a leafy vegetable related to the turnip)
2 cups frozen peas
3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup unsalted beef broth
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Season the steak with the 2 teaspoons of grilling seasoning.
3. In your cast iron skillet heat the oil over medium heat.
4. Add the meat and the broccoli rabe.
5. Turn over just the broccoli rabe once.
6. Place peas around the meat.
7. Place skillet in the oven for 8 minutes
8. Remove meat and vegetables from the skillet, cover and keep warm.
9. There should be drippings in the skillet. Add the fresh cut mushrooms and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
10. Whisk together, beef broth, mustard, cornstarch and salt in a separate bowl.
11. Pour these over the mushrooms.
12. Stir and cook until thick and bubbly.
13. Add the meat and vegetables and serve.
Each serving: 2 1/2 ounces of steak and 1/3 cup sauce and vegetables
Cholesterol: 51 mg
Fat: 6 grams
Carbs: 16 grams (5 grams fiber; 6 grams sugar)
Protein: 26 grams
To clean your skillet, wash it with a little soap and water. Then towel dry it. After it is towel dried, to ensure that you do not get rusting, you need to put it on a hot burner to be sure it is thoroughly dry. Finally, before putting it away, put a light coating of oil on the pan to preserve the seasoning.
*Diabetic Living Magazine, Spring 2018, p. 103.
*** Brett Standeven provided Medivizor with this beautiful new feature image. Thank you Mr. Standeven for your support of Medivizor. Please check out his website at https://www.booniehicks.com/griswold-cast-iron-skillet/